The questions we get a lot is: what do I wear to my interview? Companies run the gambit from super casual, shorts and t-shirts (surf companies) to formality in full blown suits, ties and spit polished shoes (investment firms/private equity) to jeans and hardhats on construction sites. It can be confusing and hugely annoying to try to figure it out but, it’s all about knowing your audience. Here are a few tips on how to find out what to wear -
- Check their website to get a feel for their formality or lack of formality.
- If you are working with a recruiter, ask them for clarification. We always ask our clients what their dress code is.
- Check their Facebook and LinkedIn pages to see what people are wearing.
- If it’s an athletic/sportswear company, professional casual is usually best. If you’re going to a bank, CPA firm, or investment firm get the suit, polish your shoes, and get a haircut.
- If you are still not sure what to wear do a “drive by” in the morning, at lunch, or after work to check out what the people are wearing as they go to and from work.
- If you are still not sure, the best bet is a suit. If you are too formal, it’s easy to take the jacket off and tone it down a bit.