Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Butterfly vs. The Mule

As always, I am trying to find ways to work with Dave. (Those of you who are new to my blog should know that Dave is my father and I work for him.) So, when I get frustrated, I often times email my friend, Kate, who has worked here and has known Dave for 20 years. Kate is funny with her advice and usually hits the problem dead-on with some hilarious analogy. As usual, she came through for me.

To set up the scene -- I've been trying to get Dave into this century. For example - getting him to use LinkedIn - remembering his password is an issue, using his cell phone besides when he’s in his car – it works at lunch too, and just changing a little bit - Dave just a little bit, please. Basically, the same old fight we've been having every year.

So as a company, we are moving out of a sole focus in the Real Estate industry and into other areas. I’m trying to drag him along but he’s kicking and screaming. So I emailed Kate and this is the response I got, “There is definitely work out there, you just have to be flexible, able to adjust on the fly and go after it. Uhhhh...well....that didn't really describe Dave at all these days, now did it? Sounds like the start of your first online blog argument with dear ol' dad! The butterfly vs. the mule! He can't actually kick you, but man he ain't goin' anywhere. He can carry a lot and you can see at the 20,000 foot level.”

So there we go. She summed it up. I’m running around at 20,000 ft. looking forward, moving forward and he’s still hanging out at the barn kickin’ and braying. Maybe we can get our mule working with the butterfly – any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I love the image of this. It has so much potential as a fable! I think the story is as much about the generations in the workplace, as it is about the challenges of working with family. I can picture each of them imagining the other as stubborn or flitting about without focus and not always appreciating each other as we ALL often do with our own families and co-workers. However, in actuality our mule is educated with life experience bringing valuable lessons to the table through the various pendulum swings of the economy and business, has carried the history of the company and longstanding professionalism with a sense of responsibility pride and integrity. Our butterfly brings transformation, creativity, experience with work-life balance being a working mom that is now highly valued in the workforce and a lightness and agility required to conduct business in this rapidly changing cyber-recruiting environment. I can see them running circles around one another until in the end, I picture the butterfly perched on the mule's nose (ok maybe on an ear or the top of the head...nose might be a little annoying) guiding one another, keeping each other honest, identifying and defining the next evolution and high point of the staffing industry which the A-group has done effectively so many times in the past. Whether or not the fable is all based in truth...the magic of fables is that there is some universal truth we can all relate to. I know I can relate to this story with my boss AND my Dad!!

    ReplyDelete